Join me at the table. Let’s sit down and stare at each other thinking, well what now? It’s January: time for new beginnings and fresh starts. What do we want from this life and even more importantly (and certainly the more pressing question) our next meal?
Januarys are my thing, I love lists and dreaming up possibilities. I falter in the follow through but sometimes magical things happen and the plans jotted on the back of napkins work out. Or at least some of them. OK, maybe the top 5 out of 25 work out, but I think the effort for resolution is still worth it. Here are mine for for 2016:
- Use up all of the old before bringing in the new, whether that be the mustard in the fridge, meat in the freezer, or shampoo in the shower.
- What we can’t use up compost. Just bought a trash can for the porch. Weekend project: drill holes in the sides and start turning kitchen scraps into dirt not trash.
- Stop texting and driving (no but really, not even at the stoplights)
- Stay present in the moment. Take walks without my cellphone, sit down for dinner and take at least 20 minutes to finish my food. Taste, see, smell, breath.
- Be mindful of each item I bring into my home and forkful I put in my body. Feel no guilt over decadence and occasional indulgent purchases. Make up for it with restraint later.
- Develop positive rituals whether it be meal planning (I am truly awful at this, we go to the grocery store 3+ times a week and still end up defeated, ordering takeout) or waking up in the morning.
- Make better lunches and save leftovers for dinner later in the week (instead of ordering takeout, see above).