Hello, my name is Nicola. Isn’t food the best thing ever? I love food. I love cooking food, talking about food, reading about food and trying new restaurants. Most of my spare time is spent looking for inspiration and thinking about my next kitchen adventure. This blog was started in 2013 so I could record and share the recipes coming out of my kitchen.
I live in the South Loop neighborhood of Chicago, IL with my husband, Matt, and our adorable and stubborn Tibetan Terrier, Reggy. Matt is chief recipe tester and dish washer. He chops my onions, makes me laugh and distracts me in the kitchen with kisses. For all these things I am very thankful. Reggy cleans up the crumbs and takes us on long walks to work off the extra slices of pie.
If you’d like to learn more about the food I cook and our food philosophy (plus a smattering of fun facts) see the list below:
- We aren’t vegetarian, vegan, paleo, or gluten free but you’ll find recipes that fit into all those categories. When it comes to eating healthy we have just one goal- eat more vegetables!
- There will always be wine – it is my second favorite hobby and passion. You’ll find suggestions for wine pairing with many of the recipes.
- I really love wine. Oh wait, I already said that in the previous bullet point.
- By day, I am a chemical engineer. Sometimes I dork out a bit and give you the science behind what I am cooking. You’ll also find that my writing is to the point giving you just enough context to know why the recipe is important to me and why you should make it. It’s the engineer in me, I can’t help it.
- I really like lists, hence why you are reading one now.
- I believe food is better when cooked in season with local, organic produce. I really like tomatoes, but in November, a fresh tomato is going to taste more like a potato than a tomato. However, sweet potatoes will be sweet, earthy and good for me!
- Yoga isn’t the only place you can detox and de-stress. Sitting down to enjoy a meal is one of the healthiest things you can do each day. I also believe that taking the time to savor and enjoy an indulgent dessert every once in a while is totally good for you.
- Also, dessert should be just that – indulgent! I never sacrifice flavor for fewer calories in my recipes, especially when it comes to dessert.
- We eat meat but not a whole lot of it. I gravitate to meals which feature a small quantity of flavorful meat stretched across several portions. You will find those and many vegetarian mains in the recipe archives.
- In our spare time, Matt and I love finding new ways to be active together and traveling. We both believe that anything new is worth trying. We run, bike, swim, snow ski and enjoy being outside.